Reading Tips to Teach Your Child
How do I Clarify? Intermediate Readers
1. Look at pictures / captions.
2. Break word into syllables. (prefix, root word, suffix)
3. Read on and come back using context clues.
4. Try different sounds.
5. Ask yourself:
* Does it look right?
* Does it sound right?
* Does it make sense?
6. Look for help:
* Use a dictionary / glossary.
* Ask someone else.
I Can Think While I Read:
1. I can predict by using clues.
2. When I question, I ask something that can be answered while I read.
3. I can evaluate by making judgments about what I have read.
4. I am able to make a connection to self, text, or world.
5. I think the genre of this book is.....
1. What is the title?
2. Who is the author / illustrator?
3. What is the setting?
4. Who are the main characters?
5. What is the plot?
*Sequencing: order of events: beginning, middle, end
6. What is the problem / conflict?
7. What is the solution / resolution?
8. What is the lesson / theme?
1. What are the key points? (provide a summary)
2. What is the main idea(s)?
3. What are the supporting details?
Examples of what you learned
Key vocabulary words
4. How is the information organized?
Alton School District: 1854 E. Broadway, Alton, IL 62002 | Phone: 618-474-2600 Fax: 618-463-2126
Eunice Smith Elementary: 2400 N. Henry St. , Alton, Ilinois 62002 | Phone: 618-463-2077 Fax: 618-433-4973